Are you looking around trying the find the best quadcopter for the money? Well, you’ve come to right place. We have already done the research for you to help you select the right multi-rotor copter for you. Our in-depth reviews will provide you with the information that you need to find the one that fits your needs.
Whether you have experience flying a multi-rotor copter or you are just starting out, trying to decide which quad copter is best for you can be frustrating. So we’ve put together this resource – a one-stop-shop, all-inclusive guide to help you find the best unit that will fit your need and skill level. Our buyer’s guide will provide essential information on the best quad copters at your fingertips. All of this information will help you pick the best quadcopter for the money and for your skill level.
Included in the matrix are 7 columns:
- Brand / Model – (click to view more details or to purchase)
- Type – mini, hobby, professional
- Range – Operational range
- Flight Time – Estimated flight time per battery charge
- Battery – Type of battery that comes with unit
- Price – approximate prices on Amazon.com. The prices can change from time to time based on seller, special sales, availability, etc. But in general terms, the pricing range is: $ = under $100, $$ = $100 to $500, $$$ = $500 to $1,00, $$$$ = $1,000+
- Rating – this is the combined user rating on Amazon.com. A rating that is provided by someone who has used the product can be extremely informative and helpful in making a buying decision.
The reviews included in this table are actually only a small sampling of all the multi-rotor copters available. So many brands and models exist that we could not have included all of them. However, many excellent multi-rotor copters are included in our extended table at every price range and from a wide variety of quality manufacturers.
Best Quad Copter
Quadcopters come in all shapes, sizes and with multiple features, so if you are new to the remote control aircraft hobby then how do you know where to start? You come to the right place! We provide the information you need to get started in this new hobby.
Best Mini Quadcopters for Beginners!
Learning how to fly an rc quadcopter is not easy and will require a lot of practice. But it is a perfect hobby to enjoy with your kids and family. You can learn a new skill while teaching your children how to fly a remote controlled quadcopter as well. You never know what may come in the future lives of your children. It is possible that they become interested in flying an aircraft and enjoy it so much that take up flying an airplane or helicopter as a career in life.
As mentioned earlier, rc quadcopters can be difficult to maneveur and fly until you get the hang of it. A mini quadcopter is a good size aircraft to use to start the learning process. The best mini quadcopters are suitable to be flown indoors in a large room such as a basement or open family room.
Learning to fly an rc quadcopter inside a building is much easier than outdoors. Since mini quadcopters are small and extremely light-weight, their flight path can be affected if the wind is blowing outside. Learning to fly an rc quadcopter in the wind adds another complexity to the process.
During your time spend learning how to fly one these machines, be prepared to crash the quad copter often. Since there is a steep learning curve in mastering the flight controls, we recommend that you start with a beginner type rc quadcopter. The best nano an mini quadcopters for beginners are built to withstand crashes better than more advanced rc quadcopters loaded with more features and bells and whistles.
Beginner quadcopters are generally smaller and due to their size, they are often referred to as mini quadcopters or nano quadcopters. The best mini quadcopters can be flown indoors like in a basement or another large room in your house or building. Flying a mini quadcopter inside a building eliminates the effects that wind can have on a quadcopter’s flight path.
Hubsan X4 H107C
The Hubsan X4 H107C RC Quadcopter can provide you with hours of flying fun. This mini quadcopter comes almost ready to fly right out of the box. With easy to use controls and a lightweight design frame, both adults and children can enjoy flying this quality quadcopter through their neighborhood. With a wide variety of quadcopters, helicopters and other R/C vehicles to choose from, the X4 quad copter is one of the lower models manufactured by Hubsan, making it a great beginner rc quadcopter for all ages at an affordable price point.
The Hubsan X4 H107C comes with the following features:
* 6-Axis flight control with an adjustable gyro
* 4-Channel function features stable flight
* Functions: Up/Down, Left/Right/, Forward/Backward and Hover
* Normal and Expert modes
* 360 degree flips left, right, forward or backward in expert mode
* HD 2 MP camera, 720p resolution shoots still images or videos
* Micro SD card-not included
* 3.7 V 380 mAh copter battery included. Battery provides up to 7 minutes of flight time on a full charge.
* Flies distances of up to 50 meters or approximately 150 feet.
* Transmitter features LCD screen
* Blade removal tool and blade guard included
* Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
Pros: The copter weighs 43 grams, which is nearly twice that of comparable competitor models. The weight nicely adds to the overall stability during flight. Each copter leg features a rubber bumper, which combined with the blade guard, provide extensive cushioning. Nice beginner’s craft.
Cons: The battery life is short. Must connect to PC to view images or video. The manual does not contain sufficient instruction, especially concerning proper placement of the blades and when to turn the camera on/off. However, a collection of YouTube videos proves helpful. Read more here
Hubsan H107D FPV X4 Mini RTF Quadcopter
The Hubsan H107D Mini is a handy palm-sized quadcopter that comes with a built-in video camera. The H107D is one of the smallest rc quadcopters available that features First Person View (FPV) technology. With FPV technology, the on-board camera provides real time video directly to the transmitter’s 3.4in LCD screen.
Video feed can be recorded to an SD card and can also be viewed live on the transmitter screen. The Hubsan H107D can easily be flown indoors or outdoors due to the ultra stable 6-axis flight control system with adjustable gyro sensitivity. FPV video range up to 100 meters!
The Hubsan X4 H10DC comes with the following features:
* Transmitter: 2.4GHz 4 channels vs 4.3 Inch LCD
* Frequency: 2.4GHz + 5.8GHz (Video transmission)
* Flight Distance: 50 – 100 meters
* Camera: 0.3 MP, resolution: 640 x 480
* Battery Type: 3.7V 380mAh Li-Po battery
* Live video distance: around 100 meters
* Flight Duration: around 7 minutes
Best Quad Copter for Hobbyists
Once you have mastered operation of the flight controls and flying a quadcopter without crashing it, you will want to look for a bigger quadcopter. Larger rc quadcopters are able to carry more payload and as a result they come with additional features that increase the enjoyment of your flying experience.
This next size level of rc quadcopters are suitable for hobbyists with previous piloting experience. These somewhat larger mid size quadcopters are better suited to be flown outdoors. Taking the kids to a local park or open field is an excellent location for these rc aircraft.
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0
The Parrot AR. Drone 2.0 is in the middle between the small mini quadcopters and the larger and more expensive professional rc quadcopters. This makes the Parrot Drone 2.0 The Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 is a nice middle ground between toy and enthusiast device.
The AR.Drone 2.0 doesn’t come with a transmitter or controller. This quadcopter is controlled with a mobile device (Android and iOS) such as a smartphone or tablet that is connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot the Parrot AR.Drone generates. With using your mobile device, this means the mobile device will double as a FPV component delivering images from the drone’s onboard cameras.
The App that must be downloaded to pilot the drone uses a “two stick” control system by default, using the left stick (an area on the touch screen you can move in four directions) to control elevation and the drone’s direction, or yaw, and the right stick (another four-directional area) to move the drone forward, backward, left, or right relative to either where it is currently facing or relative to a universal direction set when you turn the drone on.
You can control the direction of the AR.Drone by tilting your mobile device. When the AR.Drone is released by the mobile device, AR.Drone is instantly stabilized. Thanks to its autopilot feature, the AR.Drone is easy to pilot during take-offs and landings.
Heli-Max 230SI RTF Quadcopter with Camera
The 230Si rc quadcopter is a 230-sized quadcopter that is designed to provide the performance similar to the larger 350-size aircraft but in an intermediate size aircraft that is a step-up from palm-sized units. The 230Si features a removable HD camera that records 720p video at 30 frames per second and takes still photos at 1280 x 720 resolution. The camera records to microSD/SDHC cards up to 32GB in capacity, and there is a 2GB card included.
This version of the 230Si is ready-ready-to-fly (RTF), meaning a 2.4 GHz transmitter (hand-held radio transmitter) is included and comes pre-bound to the aircraft. It also come mostly assembled, requiring only the installation of the props, battery, and a few small parts before it is ready-to-fly.
* 4 Channel function for movement in all directions
* 3-Axis accelerometer and gyro
* Measures 12 x 12 x 3 inches, weighs 4.5 ounces
* Intelligent technology mimics GPS like function that includes return to pilot control
* Altitude restriction and flight control feature
* Directional control
* Controller w/batteries and LCD screen
* Beginner and expert flight modes
* 1200 mAh battery provides 15 minutes of flight time when fully charged
* 720p HD 2MP camera with manually rotating lens takes videos or still images
* Camera controlled via the transmitter
* 2GB SD card and card reader
* Spare propellers and screwdriver
* Suitable for indoor/outdoor use
Pros: The internal technology provides ample introduction into flying copters for the purpose of capturing video at a fraction of the cost of more sophisticated models. The wall charger features audio/visual indicators when the battery is charged.
Cons: LED lights only remain lit as long as the motors are functional. Does not come with a shell or blade protector. The overall lightweight makes the craft difficult to fly during windy conditions.
Best Quadcopters for Professionals
Professional quadcopters are designed to carry a heavier payload which makes them perfect for aerial photography and video photography. Knowing that these quadcopters will be used for photography purposes, they are usually outfitted with high-end cameras.
Professional rc quadcopters are used in commercial applications such as weddings, real estate, and search and rescue operations.
DJI Innovations Phantom 2 Vision
The DJI Innovations Phantom 2 Vision is a quadcopter that is ready to fly right out of the box. Rise above the heights that previously marked the limits of airborne cameras and enjoy a whole new horizon of endless possibilities. The DJI Phantom 2 Vision enables you to capture the world around you through digital media and share your images as never before.
The Phantom 2 Vision quadcopter features an integrated mobile phone FPV system that displays telemetry data and flight parameters in real time, with a Wi-Fi connection of up to 300 meters. The real-time live view on your mobile device enables you to shoot pictures and video from an entirely new perspective, advancing the world of photography to the next level.
* DJI Naza-M flight control system w/altimeter, compass, GPS, LED flight indicators
* 3-Axis gimbal camera stabilization
* Precision flight and stability
* Flight distance up to 800 meters, 1,000 feet height
* Automatic return home feature if signal disconnects
* Firmware comes with No Fly Zone feature
* Self-tightening propellers
* Vision app links with smartphone for live feed
* HD 14MP video camera captures TV quality still images or video camera in 1080p resolution
* Lens cap
* 4GB micro SD card
* JPEG and RAW image formats
* 5,200-mAh LiPo battery provides up to 25 minutes of flight time
* Controller with 4AA batteries
* Spare propellers, screws, propeller wrench
Pros: Compared to copters costing a fraction of the price, the DJI offers a much simpler and faster learning curve due to overall stability, which includes having impressive wind resistance. The auto-pilot system enables the craft to hover in place when not being controlled. Once linked with a smartphone, the app also displays flight status onscreen, which includes vehicle speed and altitude. The app allows pilots to set up to 16 waypoints and flight paths.
Cons: Though the act takes mere seconds, the navigation system must be calibrated prior to every flight. Failure to re-calibrate also negates auto-return function. Repair parts are expensive and the device only accepts costly DJI batteries. Due to overall cost, The Phantom 2 is not recommended for inexperienced pilots.
Read more here
Walkera QR X800
The Walkera QR X800 is a top notch best quad copter design from the Walkera brand that utilizes the power of photography and videography. The aerodynamic design allows users to place their DSLR or any type of action camera on the plane to capture stunning images and video from up high. The aerial GPS quadcopter is capable of carrying literally anything up there. It has a retractable landing gear feature and a design to make the extensions like a foldable “umbrella”.
Read more here
It’s Time to Take Action
Now the ball is in your court. Get started on a new hobby. One that you can enjoy with the whole family.