Seeing video from your quadcopter in-flight is one of the most fun parts of the flying an rc quadcopter. Actually, quadcopters have been in use for several years now in capturing aerial photography in applications such as filming movies, television commercials and other professional videography. However, these quadcopters were expensive and because of this were too expensive for the typical hobby market.
But with advancement in technology, cameras and HD video cameras for quad copters have become smaller, lighter and more affordable. So it is now possible for the hobby enthusiast purchase an affordable quadcopter that comes with an onboard video camera.
The best quadcopter with camera can provide two types of aerial photography. The first type is taking still images or recording in-flight video. The camera can be mounted directly on the quadcopter or it can be mounted on an auto-stabilizer. If the camera is mounted directly on the quadcopter, then the images and video captured by the camera will be affected by the vibrations of the quadcopter. If the camera is mounted on an auto-stabilizer then the video and images will be less impacted by the vibrations from the quadcopter.
The second type of photography that can be captured by the quadcopter is a live feed. A live feed is also referred as the first person view (or FPV). The first person view can be used by an experienced pilot to direct the quadcopter.
One of the most popular cameras that are mounted on a quadrocopter is the GoPro Hero3. The GoPro camera only weighs 2.6 ounces and it takes incredible shots. The GoPro provides one of the most immersive wide angle perspective of any camera.
1. Hubsan H107C
- The “upgraded” Hubsan X4 H107C is a mini quadcopter that comes with an integrated video camera. This unit comes ready to fly right out of the box. The camera in this model comes with a 2 megapixel resolution for capturing still images and a high definition video camera for video capture. At a price point under $100, the upgraded Hubsan X4 H107C is a good choice for a mini quadcopter for beginning enthusiasts.
2. Parrot AR. Drone 2.0
- The Parrot AR. Drone 2.0 Elite Edition rc quadricopter is another good budget model to purchase that comes with an integrated camera. The AR. Drone 2.0 has a high definition 720p camera mounted on the front of the quadcopter. You can download an APP to your smartphone to see the live video output streamed directly from the quad copter.
The camera is mounted on an auto stabilizer to reduce vibrations in the images. You can use a smartphone or a tablet to see live images straight from the quadricopter.
DJI Phantom FC40
- The DJI Phantom FC40 Quadcopteris part of the excellent line of quadcopters from DJI Innovations. The FC40/a> comes with a built-in 720p camera that is capable of shooting HD video support with 10x digital zoom option.
DJI Phantom Vision 2+
- The DJI Phantom Vision 2+ quadcopter is a step up from the Phantom FC40. The Phantom Vision 2+ is truly a remarkable rc quadcopter and a popular choice among hobby enthusiasts. The DJI Phantom 2 Vision enables you to capture the world around you through digital media and share your images as never before. The Phantom Vision 2+ is easy to fly so this quad copter is a great option for almost. Now you can shoot fully stabilized video from the sky.
The Phantom 2 Vision+ comes with a high quality camera that shoots full HD video at 1080p or 720p for superior video. It also takes 14 megapixel still images and stores them on a 4GB memory SD.
The Phantom 2 Vision+ features an integrated mobile phone FPV system that displays telemetry data and flight parameters in real time, with a Wi-Fi connection of up to 300 meters. The real-time live view on your mobile device enables you to shoot pictures and video from an entirely new perspective, advancing the world of photography to the next level.
Walkera Voyager 3 FPV Quadcopter
The Voyager 3 is a new quadcopter for 2015. Walkera has loaded this quadcopter with the best features including a 4K camera. It also has a retractable landing gear, 360-degree camera viewing angles, and a transmitter/radio. It has an integrated 4K camera and 3-axis gimbal already attached. However, owners can opt to install your own GoPro or other campatible camera. Additional features include:
- 12-channel transmitter with 5.8GHz downlink and a 5-inch LCD FPV screen
- 4K camera (detachable)
- 360-degree gimbal
- Real time telemetry data
- 25-minute flight time (massive 29.6V 3,300MAH LiPo battery) with low voltage warning
- On-board GPS for accurate flight and position holding
- Cruise-control function for preprogrammed flights
- Return-to-home function if signal is lost
- Battery: 3000 mAh 8S (29,6V) LiPo Battery
- Flight time: 20-25 minutes
- FPV: Integrated 5.8 GHz video transmitter
- Retractable landing gear
Now that you have seen our top picks of the best quadcopter with camera in each specific price category, it’s up to you to choose a quadcopter that meets your needs, is in your price range and overall helps you enjoy flying your new quadcopter.
At the budget price level, you’ll get a best quadcopter with camera that has at least a 720p resolution camera that is good for taking aerial video with your quadcopter. The best quadcopters in the budget level pricing are great for starter quads. You really don’t want to be learning how to fly one of these machines with an expensive one.
However, after you master the skills needed to safely fly these aircraft, you’ll want the best quadcopter with camera that you can afford that provides better quality aerial footage. To get better footage, you will need to buy a quadcopter that has a built-in gimbal. A gimbal is a gryo-stabilized mount that keeps the camera steady when the quadcopters tilts or is moved around by wind action. You will pay more for the best quadcopters with gimbals, but you will be very pleased with the results.
As you know, new quadcopters are being developed by manufacturers all the time. Because of this reason, our quadcopter reviews will be updated as new quadcopters are put on the market for sale. If you think that we left out a superior quadcopter that should be included in our review, just let us know in the comment section below!